Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Hurry Up and Wait

Just got back from my follow-up with Dr. King. The good news is everything looks great. My vocal cords are bruised (totally normal under the circumstances), but other than that they are peachy. Getting that bloody scope up my nose was an ordeal, but that's never going to change. He told me today that I've got the most difficult sinuses to navigate of any person he's ever seen. Lucky me! That explains why I am also the best patient because I tolerate the pain so well. Again, lucky me...

He tested their function and both sides are moving normally with no indication of scarring. The way he checked that was to have me sing a long "eeee" and with a strobe light he captured the cords' movement. The strobe allows you to see the cords undulating together. If you didn't use the strobe they would appear to be stationary because they were moving at a rate of about 210 cycles (hertz) per second (that's the pitch I was hitting so it would vary accordingly). The undulation reminds me of a stingray moving through the water. If the tissue scarred that rippling effect would be impaired and that would be a very, very bad thing.

The somewhat bad news is he wants me to see me again and in the meantime he wants me to continue to rest my voice by speaking very little. He also said I have to refrain from singing until that appointment which is about ten days before the Swallow Hill show. I have no doubt I will be able to perform for that show provided I take care of my voice in the meantime. Seeing as that is my number one priority in life right now, it shouldn't be a problem.

The quality of my voice as far as I can tell is completely normal. Neither Tom nor I hear anything unusual and the hoarseness is gone. It's starting to sink in that the surgery really was a success. I bought a bottle of Demi Sec champagne for New Years, but I might just save it for Swallow Hill.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Trinity

    I just checked your blog to see how you were doing after your surgery and read the above update. As I told you before I really think you are a marvelously talented artist and want you see you out there in a big way. In regards to your voice I believe I can help you recover like no one else can, please contact me for more details. http://body-awareness.com/ 303-697-4923

    Don Kipp

    ReplyDelete