Thursday, August 4, 2011

My New Bible: The War of Art

Last Saturday, Andy Ard and Lauren Brombert suggested I check out "The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles" by Steven Pressfield. I picked it up Sunday afternoon and just finished it today.

This book is an absolute must-read for anyone who feels they are not living their life's purpose, especially artists. It details all the ways the Ego/Resistance keeps us from doing our work and clearly and concisely explains how to overcome this dragon in each of its aspects.

Ironically, the act of reading the book can be a manifestation of Resistance if you're doing it to avoid your work. But if you're feeling stuck about how to proceed or need some inspiration, this is the book for you. Hell, even if you are using the book to procrastinate, it's worth the read because it will expose all the ways you are sabotaging yourself. And it won't sugar-coat it, either. Sort of a tough-love therapy session.

Get it. Today. You won't regret it. www.stevenpressfield.com/the-war-of-art

Writing is part of my work, and if you look at the last time I blogged you'll see that I've been shamefully negligent. Since I last blogged, I've managed to acquire 8 jobs (in addition to my music career which brings the total to 9) and balancing them has been challenging. Some of them are on a set schedule while others are more irregular which means my income is still pretty inconsistent.

Believe it or not, I'm still open to other work if something comes along that fits my skills and my schedule. I would like to offer my organizational, writing, and marketing services to other artists and entrepreneurs who have need of some part-time assistance. I'm also considering offering some workshops. More on that later.

If you're curious, here's the run-down on my jobs: 1) my music career, 2) a weekly open mic on Tuesday nights at Forza in Westminster, 3) a weekly open mic on Thursday nights at Highlands Cork & Coffee in Denver, 4) marketing copywriter for National Geographic Maps, 5) bookkeeper for Epiphany Lutheran Church, 6) bookkeeper/office assistant for Colorado Law Enforcement Officers' Association, 7) executive assistant for St. Patrick's Distributing (surgical equipment), 8) soloist (twice a month) at Living Water Unity Church, and 9) host of Stage C Arvada, a community variety show.

I'm so grateful for all the opportunities that have come my way, for the friends I've made, and for the courage I found to create jobs for myself where there weren't any. I know there are a lot of people out there struggling as I was (and still am, to some extent) and if I have any words of wisdom to share, they are: have confidence in your strengths and find ways to be of service using your gifts, don't be afraid to ask for help, and think outside your prior job experience. It's very empowering to focus on what you can give rather than what you can receive. Try it and let me know what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment