Thursday, May 13, 2010

Looking for that door

"Where one door closes, another's standing open..." - Whatever Is

I have avoided sharing this news for many months in the hopes that things would change, but unfortunately, that hasn’t been the case. Long story short, on New Years Day, Tom announced that he wants to end our marriage. This is not a mutual decision. I've done everything in my power to convince him to work with me to save our marriage, but he's made up his mind and won't reconsider.

Due to our financial circumstances, we weren’t in a position to go our separate ways so we’ve been cohabitating (quite peacefully, ironically) since the beginning of the year. I’ve been focusing on my contract job with Outskirts Press in the hopes that it would pay off at the level I’d been led to believe was possible for my role as a Publishing Consultant. I’ve only recently come to accept that this position is not going to pay anywhere near a liveable wage despite the months of time and effort I’ve put into it.

I’ve been booking shows for the summer, but few venues offer any sort of guarantee and in most cases I’ll be playing for tips or a percentage of the door if there’s a cover charge. As much as I’d love to make a living writing and performing music full-time, that is not a viable plan for the near term. I have to look for other work to sustain me.

Tom quit his job in April, so we have had to give notice to our landlord that we can no longer afford rent beyond June. As of July 1, I need to have a new place to live, but at the moment I’m unable to even look for a room to rent because I have no consistent income.

I realize there are many people out of work now and the pickings are slim, but if you know of any positions available that meet my skill set, please let me know. I have twelve years experience as an executive assistant/office manager and through my nine years of experience as a small business owner I’ve acquired a host of computer and business skills. I would also be interested in any freelance work if you know anyone looking for a personal assistant or virtual assistant for part-time or project work. I’m actually open to a lot of different jobs, not just office work, but that’s where the bulk of my experience is. I’m also really good at cleaning stalls and caring for animals, large and small. Physical labor is fine if the pay is decent. I’m certainly not afraid to get my hands dirty and could use the exercise.

I’d also appreciate any referrals for housing if you know of anyone with an inexpensive guest house, apartment, or room to rent in July. Once I find some steady income that’ll be my next search to tackle. I’m going to do my best to not fulfill the old musician stereotype and wind up living down by the river in my van.

In the meantime, I hope to see you at one of my upcoming shows this summer. As always, thank you for your support and friendship.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Trinity and Tom as well.
    I am saddened at the news of your failing marriage. I have known you from the beginning.
    Though the economy is bad I pray that each of you will soon find employment.
    Robert and I have been married for three years,and I am about to finish my masters at Regis. Who would have thought that my crazy brain would hang in there to finish school.
    We are truly blessed but not with out trial and tribulations. My daughter (33) has late stage cervical cancer and is quite ill. She has six children.I have been in Kansas the past 5 weeks.
    You were both there during some of my dark times.
    I love both of you. Trinity please pass this note on to Tom.
    It has been a awhile since I have heard you sing, so I hope we can make it this week.
    Either way our prayers and thoughts are with you during this time.
    Love,
    Faye

    ReplyDelete